Optician Visual Field Technician
Job Location: Wichita, KS
Responsible for coordinating daily patient activities for the Vision Rehabilitation Clinic which include preparation of patients for physician encounter, maintaining supplies, work areas and equipment for the department, performing visual field tests for patients, proper recording and reporting of services, and ensuring follow-up care coordination through vision rehabilitation, outreach and outside referrals. Assist patients with optical orders as well.
Education: High school diploma or GED equivalent required.
- Minimum of three years experience in optometry or ophthalmology required.
- Experience in medical diagnostic coding preferred.
- Ability to calculate oculars and read visual field test graphs.
- Demonstrate the ability to establish relationships with blind and visually impaired individuals, as well as disabled and geriatric individuals.
- Ability to work in a team-oriented and collaborative environment.
- Must possess excellent customer service skills, including written and oral communication abilities in order to provide close support and consultation to other professionals.
- Must be sensitive to patient issues and treat all patients with dignity, respect and kindness while maintaining the upmost confidentiality for each patient per Envision policy.
- Current Certified Para optometric (CPOA) or Certified Ophthalmic Assistant (COA) required.
- Must maintain a current CPR certification.
Key Responsibilities/ Essential functions include
- Current American Board of Optician (ABO) or Certified Ophthalmic Technician (COT) certification preferred.
- Prepare exam rooms for patient care by stocking supplies and setting up and maintaining necessary equipment.
- Take preliminary patient history and chart physician services as directed. Perform patient testing as instructed by physician. Testing includes but is not limited to the following: Scanning Laser Ophthalmoscope, Humphrey and Goldmann tests.
- Document findings during evaluation regarding patient care in accordance with Medicare standards and Envision protocol for data collection.
- Communicate patient needs to other clinical staff during the evaluation process; inform medical receptionist of need for follow-up appointments based on plan of care for vision rehabilitation or referral back to primary care specialist.
- Respond to patient phone calls and properly direct or resolve the call. Ensure that all patient questions have been answered and that they understand the treatment process.
- Provide assistance to patients with eyeglass purchases by:
- Performing frame and facial measurements to ensure correct fit and positioning.
- Verifying eyeglasses meet specifications and are adjusted to fit correctly.
- Instructing patients on the proper care of eyeglasses.
- Follow protocol for ordering and pricing of optical within the guidelines of the clinic to include accountability of optical inventory and cost of goods sold.
- Maintain purchasing and receiving records for optical dispensing while managing the frame board inventory.
- Work with outside vendors to provide quality, stylish, and price competitive optical products and special orders for patients.
- Maintain awareness of current practices through review literature, attendance at conferences and seminars, Medicare regulations, licensing and compliance needs.
- Perform research and collect data for physicians and/or clinicians as requested.
- Flexibility to perform other duties as assigned.
Vision Requirements Include Can be performed with or without assistive technology:
Envision, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without illegal discrimination because of race, color, sex, age, gender identity, disability, religion, citizenship, national origin, ancestry, military status or veteran status, marital status, sexual orientation, domestic violence victim status, predisposing genetic characteristics and genetic information, and any other status protected by law.
- Required to perform activities such as: preparing/analyzing data/figures; viewing a computer screen; reading; inspecting small objects for defects; using measuring devices; and/or assembling parts with close eye contact.
- Required to review/inspect own assigned work, the work of others, or facilities or structures.
Envision employs and advances in employment individuals with disabilities and veterans, and treats qualified individuals without discrimination on the basis of their physical or mental disability or veteran status.
Reasonable accommodations will be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
This position description is intended to convey generally the duties of this job. It is not an all-inclusive listing of duties, and it is not a contract, expressed or implied. Apply Now (opens in new window)
How to Apply:
Click Here to Apply for this position
Envision, Inc. is an EOE/AA employer
Envision, Inc. provides Equal Employment Opportunity to all people in every aspect of consideration for employment. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without illegal discrimination because of race, color, religion or creed, sex/gender, national origin or ancestry, citizenship, protected veteran or disabled status, age, disability/handicap, medical condition (CA), genetic information, marital status (most States), sexual orientation (CA & CO), or any other legally protected characteristics (collectively, “legally protected characteristics”). Envision, Inc. Employs and advances in employment individuals with disabilities and protected veterans, and treats qualified individuals without discrimination on the basis of their physical or mental disability or veteran status. You may direct questions or concerns to the Vice President of Human Resources & Administration (316) 440-1503, or the Director of Human Resources at (316) 425-7106. This policy has the support by Michael J. Monteferrante, the Chief Executive of our organization.